OwnerPenobscot River Restoration Trust
P.O. Box 5695
Augusta, ME 04332
Project TypeDam Removal
99 Main Street
Topsham, ME 04086
Start / FinishJuly 2013 - December 2013
Description / Significance
Scope of work involved demolition of the historic dam structures within the Penobscot River, including:
- Demolition of 800 feet of long Veazie Dam (built in 1912) including removal of 6,000 cubic yards of concrete.
- Demolition of three (3) timber-crib “legacy” dams (dating back to the 1830s) including removal & salvage of 25,000 cubic yards of material from the river.
- Accelerated work schedule to reduce the environmental impact.
- Innovative approach to cofferdam construction & removal, reducing truck traffic through neighboring towns.
- Managed construction in unusually high water flows approaching 25,000 cubic feet per minute.