OwnerMaine Bureau of General Services
77 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333
Project TypeLandfill Cover
EngineerSevee & Mahar Engineers, Inc.
4 Blanchard Road
Cumberland Center, ME 04021
Start / FinishJune 2016 - October 2016
Description / Significance
Crews have completed Phase 1 of a multi-year project to upgrade the cover system at the state-owned Dolby landfill complex in Millinocket.
Phase 1 included cells 15,16, and 17, for a total of 25 acres.
Overall, the project calls for upgrading the cover system for 72 acres of Dolby III landfill and 25 acres of Dolby II landfill. The project is expected to have a construction period of 4 to 5 years.
This upgraded cover system will significantly reduce the amount of leachate generated at the landfill and will reduce the costs of transporting and treating it.
- Stripping and stockpiling 30,000 cubic yards of existing cover soil
- Regrading the existing subgrade and shim with borrow material to get it graded to the new grades
- 14,000 cubic yards of drainage sand
- 48,000 cubic yards of cover soil
- 14,000 cubic yards of topsoil
- 20,000 linear feet of gas collection and underdrain pipe