Sargent Corporation traces its beginnings to 1926 in Alton, Maine, when a young man named Herbert E. Sargent bought a used Reo dump truck and set out to make a living. In the early years he hired out his truck in the summers and cut wood and plowed snow in the winters.
The demand for his work ethic, reliability and integrity grew quickly, and by 1930 he had acquired a small fleet of trucks to go with a power shovel and a bulldozer.
Son Joins The Company
Herb grew his business over the ensuing decades, with his son, Jim, joining the company full-time in 1957. Jim proved to be a catalyst for continued growth as he continued to build on Herb’s reputation as an honest and reliable contractor.
Jim Becomes President
Herb retired and Jim became the president of the company, which at that point was called H.E. Sargent, Inc.
H.E. Sargent Sold To Razel
In 1988 the family sold the company to Razel, a much larger construction firm from Paris, France. By that time, Jim’s son, Herb R. Sargent, had been working full-time for the company for five years as a foreman and superintendent.
This company grew steadily, and in 2005 Sargent & Sargent acquired the assets of H. E. Sargent, Inc. In the following months the combined entities were placed under one banner: Sargent Corporation.